Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:53:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Free Range

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Free Range  (Read 2449 times)
dompalumbo

« on: February 22, 2009, 09:25:32 am »

I am letting Muscovy's free range. During the winter they have remained close to home, not venturing very far. What should I do to keep it this way. What encourages them to wander. I would rather they didn't visit the neighbors. Although it is very rural where I live and some of the neighbors are farmers, they don't take very kindly to others animals. Although it never was an issue with me when their animals ventured on my place. I would like to keep them close to home without confining them, other than at night.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

smartinholm

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41:00 pm »

I don't think there's any way to *make* them not wander...unless they are within a fence and wings are clipped.  That said, mine have free range and never get more than 50 yards from house or barn.  Everything I've read says they have a tendency to be homebodies.  I do have mine clipped, but they are able to slip out of the current fence if they want to. (That will be remedied soon with a new fence...my neighbors have wandering dogs that I don't appreciate!)
Sharon in E TX
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:10:12 am »

They will go where the environment is most welcome.  If they find better food, feel more secure, or have better bathing opportunities at the neighbors you won't convince them to stay home until that environment becomes the friendlier of the two.  Anything you do to make your place the best place to be will keep 'em fairly close to home.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics