Muscovy Duck Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:09:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

protein?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: protein?  (Read 1043 times)
Jimmy27

« on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:40 am »

How do you get your hatchlings the 20 percent protein they need? Most of these duck pellet brands i see only have like 16. how do you give them 20? or can you just buy meal worms and put it in there with their food? and also, how much should you feed them in one day? or will they eat untill their fine, or could they eat themselves to death?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jimmy27

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:49:20 pm »

and will ducks eat any kind of bird food?
Report Spam   Logged
Kats

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:01:54 am »

Birds can't eat themselves to death. Their crops and gizzards hold very little food at once. When your ducks are older, you will see that when you put out food they will eat frantically for a very few minutes and then go and get a couple of drinks of water and wander off until they digest it.

Game bird crumbles or turkey crumbles are usually recommended for young ducklings. They also need chopped grass or other greens and mine like scrambled egg.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »

I usually start mine with a gamebird starter for two weeks and then drop them down to about 18% or 16%.  That said, they do get to free range usually and hunt for insects and eat weeds/grasses.  Hard boiled eggs are an excellent source of protein, meal worms would be okay to feed if you have the means to feed them.  I feed my ducklings all that they can eat during the day.  I do not like to leave any grain out overnight. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics