Muscovy Duck Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:15:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

question

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question  (Read 1544 times)
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« on: August 17, 2009, 02:17:10 am »

Drakelets certainly can be much bolder than the ducklets.  When I used to sit out at dusk & feed cucumbers to my ducklings it was always the drakelets that would come up and literally snatch them from our hands and could catch them in midair.  I'd call my Mom and she'd come out and sit with me and she always hated when she dropped her knife because she was afraid to reach down and pick it up afraid that they'd attack her! lol 

At this point if your birds are all around the same age there might not be very many fights going on or it might be a case where everyone is pretty much on even territory.  As they mature, and if they ever get to the point where they're in too small of an area you will see increasing behavior.  A lot of times the first sign can be picking; when they start pulling blood feathers.  This can be related to too small quarters or it can be a sign of inadequate nutrition, protein, in my experience.  If they're able to maintain their personal space in the shelter you have provided then you probably won't have any or many fights occur until breeding season or the birds reach sexual maturity, whichever occurs first.  Once the testosterone begins to flow I don't think you'll ever be able to get away from fighting unless you only have a single drake!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 02:18:54 am by Cathy » Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics