Muscovy Duck Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:03:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Special treats?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special treats?  (Read 3065 times)
Stlhead

« on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »

Special treats for muscovies?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:52:48 am »

It really depends on the bird.  I once raised a crop of cucumbers for mine and they went crazy over them - my Mom and I would sit out just before dark & slice cucumbers & feed the duckling flock and those birds would literally jump up and snatch them out of your hand and some could even catch them in the air!  I told a customer this and when she went home with her ducklings (a different  year's hatch) they wouldn't touch cucumbers!  I don't know if she bought the kind in the store that weren't as fresh or had that wax coating, but whatever the reason hers did not care for cucumbers near like what mine did.  Leafy vegetables are good, black oil sunflower seeds, while they make a great addition to a ration, can be fed as treats if they're not otherwise given.  Again, some people report that their birds won't touch them.  Dog or cat food can be given as a treat.  Muscovy do well with animal protein in their diet so it doesn't hurt them besides the fact that most pet food is made with corn as the main ingredient!  Vegetables, tomatoes, etc.  You can hard boil eggs and feed to them which is a great treat as the egg is 100% digestible protein meaning there is no waste and it is an animal-based protein which is good.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
newchicken

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:08:14 pm »

They need to be a little hungry.  I tried free choice in their night cage.  I was going to be gone for the weekend.  When I arrived home, I was presented with the laziest, most disinterested group of birds I'd ever seen!
Report Spam   Logged
Goldenbead

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »

My ducks LOVE cherry tomatoes.  I have a few bushes in the garden and I pick a handful for them regularly.  They catch them in mid air too.  I had to have my veggie patch fenced off as the ducks would free range up there, eat all the tomatoes and crush everything else with their big feet!
Report Spam   Logged
rjole

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »

I chop up old apples or my crew. My drake and hen both gobble them up along with the chickens young and old.
Report Spam   Logged
VIMduck

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 01:48:10 am »

My Duckers love lettuce, they practically chase round after me if I have lettuce.
Funny how they seem to like different things........
Report Spam   Logged
charlindabob

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:05:28 pm »

My ducklings love sliced bread.  I give it in moderation, and they will literally climb all over me to get it if I let them.  If they see a slice in my hand 100' away, they get all excited and come running.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics