Muscovy Duck Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:53:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Health Problems?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Health Problems?  (Read 1230 times)
lincsovey

« on: March 13, 2009, 11:32:46 am »

Hi there, I'm new to keeping Muscovy's, we have a trio - two females  & one male (age about 18months).  In the last couple of days the male has started twitching his wing feathers, rather like he is kind of shivering.  Can anyone offer advice on what this might be?  He's not done it before and doesn't seem himself.  He is still eating and drinking - I just wondered, is this anything to be concerned about?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:09:14 pm »

Does he do it while he's hissing / chit-chatting or is it while he's at rest or at ease?  Is it a pronounced twitter or more subtle?  I've not heard of anything specifically that would cause shivering other than the usual - drop in body temperature.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
lincsovey

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »

Hi, thanks for your response.  He actually seems to have stopped the shivering now.  It was something he did when he was at ease and not making any noise at all - just still, quiet, but kind of shivering.  Strange, I thought.  Although, now he is not doing it and appears to be okay. 

I wonder, could you recommend a good book to read about Muscovies - we are new to keeping them and although we did research - there is so much we don't know?
Report Spam   Logged
smartinholm

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread is an excellent all-around duck care book and very thorough.  I think DH has a fondness for Muscovies and their chapter is very, very good.  I don't know of any books just devoted to Muscovy.
Sharon in E. TX
Report Spam   Logged
lincsovey

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:01:25 am »

Hi, thanks Sharon, I will try and get that book.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:28:48 am »

There's also the Hobby Farms Duck book but I'm not sure exactly how much of it pertains to Muscovy specifically. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics