Muscovy Duck Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:32:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Masked Gene and White Head Gene

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Masked Gene and White Head Gene  (Read 693 times)
Delarose Farm

« on: September 01, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »

Hi, I have a question on the masked gene and white head gene?  I am new to Muscovys so here it is. I have 20 new Muscovys from 10 bloodlines.  I going to work on making 8 bloodlines. 15 Muscovys are under 6 months old and the others are one year to three years old.  The duckling have solid, masked, splash like heads, white head gene and white masked with a colored line on top.   ? one does anyone know if the masked gene is dominant or recessive? the mother of the white headed masked ducklings still has the color on top and with white masked sides.  ? two I have the reverse of those in that the masks on another duckling not related has a solid mask on each side with the white head gene ? that looks like it will take over starting at the top of the head with a white stripe and work down.  ? three solid white head/ clean headed and splash like white heads is the clean head dominant over the splash like head?  Thanks, Heather
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:10:13 pm by Delarose Farm » Report Spam   Logged

Thanks, Heather St.

*** Delarose Farm ***
   Alpacas, ND Goats,
Muscovy & Pekin Ducks

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

suprstakr

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:45 am »

OOOOO GOOD QUESTION !!! Keep us abreast of your experament . Huh
Report Spam   Logged
rollyard

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:04:50 pm »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:57:21 pm by rollyard » Report Spam   Logged

Delarose Farm

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »

Hi,
  I had a question on the masked gene and white head gene? So for I have had Muscovys for three months. I had 20 new Muscovys from 10 bloodlines and lost one and sold 5 drakes.  I was going to work on keep 8 bloodlines, but have found out that most of the bloodlines have the white head gene. Out of 15 Muscovys born from May to July of this year, 9 of them have the white head gene.  The other 5 are one to three years old.  The duckling had solid, masked, splash like heads, white head gene and white masked with a colored line on top.   #1 Does anyone know if the masked gene is dominant or recessive?  I would still like to know.   The mother of the white headed masked ducklings still has the color on top with white masked sides.  #2  I have a masked duckling not related, that has a solid mask on each side with the white head gene that take over starting at the top of the head with a white stripe and work down to become a solid white head.  #3 A solid white head/ clean headed and/or splash like white heads is the clean head dominant over the splash like head?  I have both solid white headed and so far splash like head with both white and color that is staying.  I have one duck,who is two years old and still has the splash head and she is the mother of two of the ducklings.  
  I sold all the drakes that had the white head gene and I am keep only solid males to breed to see if there is more at play with this white headed genes.  All of my 9 ducks that have the white head genes started to lose their color on their heads are younger than 6 months and have solid and mixed white heads already.    Thanks, Heather
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks, Heather St.

*** Delarose Farm ***
   Alpacas, ND Goats,
Muscovy & Pekin Ducks
rollyard

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:57:50 pm by rollyard » Report Spam   Logged

Delarose Farm

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »

Hi,
  I have a question on the masked gene is it a dominant or recessive gene in Muscovys?  The masked gene can be seen on all the heads of good Dutch rabbits.   The bird that I have has the colored masked gene but it was masked by the white head gene. Sad   Plus she has the bibbed markings with white wing tips too.  I would love to work on a bloodline of colored masked bibbed muscovys.  If anyone has any I would love to get some duckling in the spring.  Thanks, Heather
Report Spam   Logged

Thanks, Heather St.

*** Delarose Farm ***
   Alpacas, ND Goats,
Muscovy & Pekin Ducks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics