Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:23:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Frostbite above Drake Beak? Help!

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frostbite above Drake Beak? Help!  (Read 442 times)
eveshakti

« on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:17 am »

Hi there
I'm new to Muscovies. My husband got them  in the fall and now he's away for the winter. They have a little insulated house they often spend time in when it's really cold or bad weather. away from that (maybe 10 feet under the deck so slightly sheltered) is a warming bowl and a their duck feed. They have a wading pool that is being kept clear of ice. We have a drake and two ducks. The ducks seem just fine.

Anyhow, they seem to be doing fine in the winter BUT yesterday I noticed that the little bulb of skin over the drakes nose has turned black. I"m worried that it has frozen.  He was still in high spirits - telling me off when i went into the pen, but today he's very quiet. Either he suddenly trusts me - which would be nice- but i'm worried that he's ill. He was shivering and yawning but making no sound. It's warming up to 10C in two days (for two days before the temp drops again).  It's been around -10 for a week or so now. We were told that we should not give them any artificial heat source as that would make them susceptible to the cold. This happened to my friends ducks. They have shelter which is clean and they have clean food and water and I"m cleaning their pool to be sure when it warms up in a day or so (I don't want the whole yard to turn to ice).

Is there anything I can do? They survived last winter with less shelter at a friend's place. I can't get close to the drake. They were in a big flock at a farm and were not socialized particularly. He's big and strong and beat my husband up pretty good when he caught him at the farm. I don't want the drake to be sick.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

eveshakti

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »

So,
There was nothing I could do about the frostbite and it just sat there and eventually healed off and now his skin is back to normal with maybe a small whiteish patch.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics