Muscovy Duck Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:12:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

In-breeding?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In-breeding?  (Read 389 times)
Jibi

« on: September 17, 2012, 11:28:43 am »

Hello all

I'm new to muscovies. I got a male and two females, all adults, from the same supply so it is likely they're related. I just got my first batch of ducklings, but one of them was rolling around unable to get on its feet. I pulled that one's neck after a couple of days of that. Now another one has developed a strange twitch that causes it to go reeling back every now and then. It seems healthy enough otherwise. Could this be something to do with inbreeding? Will a drake mate with its sisters?

Thanks,
Jibi
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

suprstakr

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:36 am »

I'm new too , but did breed rabbits for a while . To mix up the gean-pool one can get a new drake or new hen , and save a drake from the new hen. I don't know if their your pets or other so my advice is limited.
Report Spam   Logged
hankshome

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:00:02 am »

Hi Jibi,
I'm new also and I also got 1 male and 2 females from the same breeder in early July.  My husband and I were asking each other the same question just last week.  Our females gang laid in the same nest and then they took turns sitting on the eggs.  They hatched 8 ducklings but 2 have disappeared to snapping turtles.  We want at least another batch of ducklings next spring but aren't sure if we should get 1 more drake or a drake and female combo.  Hopefully someone will be able to answer this question.
Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:24:15 am »

I was talking to a local breeder and was told ,sister and brother is OK but not their children . The way she controls things , she gets rid of the drakes every 2 yrs ,they get too heavy for the hens , that way she keeps her genetics straight.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics