Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:43:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Introductions!

+-+-
+-User
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions!  (Read 7383 times)
bluffwood

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:44 pm »

Hi everyone.

We live just outside of Indianapolis, and have a 22 acre farm (4 miles from our home) that is certified organic for what we grow (hay, popcorn, soybeans and other things). We keep bees, and have layers and three turkeys destined for holiday dinners.

Last June or so, I was gifted four muscovies, two of which turned out to be drakes. In spite of a bone chilling winter, they did quite well in an unheated steel barn, as did our chickens.

Now, more than a year old, the females have been laying quite a bit. One of them showed up with 6 ducklings but only two of them survived to now, and now they're at the age that our first ones were when we got them. More eggs but the mother isn't spending all her time on them.  The two ducklings we have... if they're female, they'll stay, otherwise drakes will be destined for the roaster.

The goal is more females, because the two girls get grabbed for sex anytime the males are around, it seems. The two original males have earned the right to stay alive.

Today, one of the girls actually allowed me to pick her up to place her back in the barn.

I had a look through this site, and it's sad that it's not all that busy.

and I tried to post photos here, but cannot.  They're small enough but I just get errors.
Report Spam   Logged
Shadrach

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2014, 06:50:42 am »

Hello.
I'm Shadrach, or should I write my Drake is called Shadrach and I'm posting on his behalf.  Tongue
I live in Montsney National Park in Catalonia, a province in Spain.
I got given a male and female last year. Unfortunately the male got killed by one of the few predators we have here and having grown to like the breed, I got another pair. The original female Jenny produced two chicks earlier this year so now I have five.

Shadrach (male)
Jenny (female)
Hannah (female)
Lotti (female hatched by Jenny)
Sheba (female hatched by Jenny)

During the day they are completely free range and at night they sleep in a makeshift duck shed.
Both the female adults fly, often, but not far. Shadrach can fly but rarely does.
Hannah likes to perch. Her favorite spot is on the top rail of a fence overlooking the valley.
There is a small tank full of water about half a metre deep set in the ground nearby their house and all the females like to swim and wash.
Shadrach doesn't seem too keen on swimming or washing. Embarrassed

Report Spam   Logged
Beeber

« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »

Hello Shadrach,

I just stopped by to get some info for a new duckie owner, and thought I would send her here, instead. This is a nice forum and has alot of potential.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have had ducks all my adult life, which is about 50 yrs. There used to be alot of Muscovy duck owners around these parts not too many years ago. Not so much anymore. The interest is there, though. Every time I have babies to give away, there are never enough to go around and I get emails for weeks after I take the advert down. I always meet the nicest people who come to get the babies.
I, too, have tried to post pics, but the software would not cooperate.
Nice to hear from a Muscovy owner so far away.
Cheers,
Beeber
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics