Muscovy Duck Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:13:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Introductions!

+-+-
+-User
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions!  (Read 7385 times)
SeaDottir

« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:21 pm »

Hello,

My name is Kitty and I live in Delaware.  I just lucked into a trio of Muscovies with babies.  And then acquired another trio after I decided I really liked them!  I was given 6 ducks of different breeds a year or so ago and decided I liked them and have narrowed my breeds to raising Muscovies and Khaki Campbells.  I raise the Khakis for eggs but I like the Muscovies much better (much quieter and not quite so skitsy)! 

The two trios are:

(brown/cream colored) - Charlie, Sabrina and Tiffany and their babies
(Black/white magpie) - Lancelot, Gwynefar and Morgaine

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning a lot!
Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »

Glad to see the forum getting new members. Wellcome and happy duckling Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
iambeeman@msn.com

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:59 am »

Hey there!  My wife and I got 14 muscovies this summer for free from a kindly old farmer who uses them for fly control and gives away the excess.  7 hatchlings, 4 hens and 3 drakes.  So far we love having them around and our little boy adores them.  We got them in the hopes of breeding a large enough flock to keep our freezer full and sell some, so we didn't name them.  Good thing too!  the drakes killed all but 1 duckling, one female took off, and we made the poorest of the drakes into sausage (YUMMY)!  We live in southern Manitoba, Canada so very shortly we'll have to build an in door pen for winter.  

Well that's our muscovie adventure thus far, pleased to meet y'all.
Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:55 am »

Welcome to the most quiet blog in the world . I thought I'll be alone till spring . Nice to hear anothers voice , by your handle you must keep bees too . Huh
Report Spam   Logged
yellowfox

« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2012, 11:47:06 am »

Hello , Im just geting started with muscovys. Irased mallards in the past and it was alot of fun. I have two blue and white  that Im prity shore ar both young males after loooking at the pic. in the gallery. So I'll be getting afew more soon.This site has alredy ancered a lot of my questions thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »

Wellcome , where are you located ? This is a good site for muscovy keepers . I'm new too ,so we learn from each others experiances
Report Spam   Logged
PP Muscovy

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2012, 06:39:47 am »

Hello All,

I am a new Muscovy duck breeder from South Africa with about 60 Females & 30 Males. My first hatchlings came last week, 11 from one female (1 casualty) and 19 from the second female (2 casualties). There are still 27 females breeding and some of the females lay a lot of eggs but never breeds on them, are they still young and inexperienced? When I initially started out I lost about 30 Muscovies, the Vet said it was some kind of virus that they had. No casualties since then except for another female that breaded on eggs but died on the nest for some reason (3 weeks ago)? What is the best food & medicine for the young hatchlings as I heard that food with hormones in it is not good for them as they make them sterile and is it a good idea to cut the tip of their wing when they hatch?

Any assistance or help with my Muscovy farm will be much appreciated?

Regards,

PP Muscovy
Report Spam   Logged
Mimo

Dixie, in her wooden file cabinet nesting box!

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

Hello, My name is Traci/Mimo and I have 1, 11 month old Muscovy hen. Her name is Dixie and she thinks she is a chicken.  Her previous owner told me the mother abandoned her nest so they put the egg with a chicken hen that was brooding and Dixie was hatched with chicks. When we got her (7mos old), they said she had never gone in the water with the other Muscovies. We brought her home and put her in the bathtub. She was scared at first and all of a sudden she started doing the dunking wave. She then got very excited and the splashing began. She now knows that she is somewhat different than her chicken sisters, cause they never go in the outdoor tub with her! My Husband was not happy that our son & I brought a duck home but, now he is happy we have her, she makes us laugh. She has so much more personality than our chicken hens.

Thanks for reading,

Traci/Mimo
Report Spam   Logged
SylviaMBT

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »

Hi all,
My husband and I raise grass-fed beef in west central Wisconsin and are now thinking of adding Muscovy ducks to the mix. I've two major interests in this breed: because I'd like a natural way to deal with the flies that worry my cows all summer long, and because Muscovy duck has been described as deliciously beefy.

I'm brand new to ducks and would appreciate any insights and lessons learned. A first question: what do you do for winter housing in the Upper Midwest?

It's a pleasure to "meet" all of you. I look forward to learning lots.
Syvia

Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »

A good start is a shed with a south-east entrance. Dirt floor covered with 6in of sawdust ,when it starts decomposing it creates heat , and in the spring you can clean it out for compost . Small tub of water outside changed daily will help if there is no pond .The shed should have some ventilation to vent the urea . Hope that helps .
Report Spam   Logged
ksavageclarke

« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:05 pm »

I read a website that described a shed with smooth pea gravel on the floor, so I am trying that for next winter in Central Missouri.  For this winter my ducks bunked with the chicks and for the most part slept outside (in a predator proof pen) by their own choice.  They slept outside in the snow and rain.  Now we are having a spring blizzard and some of the ducks are in it, but my big drake is in the henhouse snuggled down in the straw. Some of the duck hens were naughty girls and wouldn't  come in one night and stayed out in the pond all night.  They had frost on their backs the next morning, but were physically just fine.  They need a place to get out of the wind and the worst of the weather, but cold does not seem to bother them.  They are vulnerable to foxes, racoons, coyotes etc. so I try to lock mine up at night.  If they need to stay penned during the day we provide a small pool of water for bathing/bill clearing.
Report Spam   Logged
Just Ducky

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »

I'm a Muscovy Newbie, but have been raising poultry and other livestock for, gosh, something like forever, it seems. I started a lot like everyone, I suppose - I had a hen, which was my gateway drug, then a few more, then other species, I just couldn't stop. It is certainly a disease. I'm probably different from a lot of the MDC members, as I don't do the critters for a hobby or entertainment so much as for food. I keep breeders of everything I like to raise, and I try to eventually have the best quality animals I can get, since good genetics eat just as much as poor. My zoo, uh, farm raises Nubian dairy goats, lambs, chickens for meat and eggs (I sell about 120 dozen eggs a week to the local food co-op), turkeys, geese, egg ducks, and now muscovys have joined the fray.

Not really knowing how to get started with muscovys I bought an assortment from a hatchery in early May. Upon their arrival I was delighted to discover that these are low rider ducks! I mean like a chopped Chevy! My Khaki Campbells were disdainful at first but the muscovys quickly grew bigger then the KKs so they mind their own business now. I ended up with 9, each one a different color, mostly solids with a few white splashes here and there. My plan is to keep two or three for breeding and harvest the rest. Thanks to tutoring from MDC I can tell which are the boys and which are the girls, now I just have to decide which ones to keep.

I still have lots of questions about breeding, so I'll go over to the breeders thread and start asking away.
Report Spam   Logged
VIMduck

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »

Hello peeps!

I'm a Brit. living on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.  Moved here 3 years ago to realise a dream of living off the land!
Got my first birds a year ago, was s'pose to get a mama & her 13 ducklings, ended up with the ducklings only as mama flew off & person giving me the ducklings was reluctant to chase her or allow me to return the next day and as he was a bit 'red neck' I didn't persist.....

Of that 13 I now have 5, NB the Drake (black & White) and 4 gals, Phoebe (black & white), Martha mama, speckle neck & 'a blondie twin' (all grey and white).  The others -1 female mysteriously died in the pen one day (we suspect NB got a bit too amerous!), one was killed at a couple of months by one of the dogs and the others were put in the freezer/eaten, (hope that isn't offesive to anyone).
We had our first batch of ducklings this summer and another addition to the flock, with 5 ducklings, in the form of a donation from a friend & fellow muscovy keeper. Only 2 of our batch made it in the world as Speckle neck killed the other 2 - she will be freezer meat once she has stopped laying eggs!

All ducks are free range on the 3 acre property (dawn to dusk) and also fed 16% hen scratch & lettuce now and again (they just love lettuce).  At night everyone waddles into the pen next to the dog run/house.  I beleive this, along with the electirc fence, keeps them safe, being close to us.

It is our plan to keep healthy happy duckers for entertainment, eggs & as a food source.  So far, so good......
Report Spam   Logged
jmg198

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:20 pm »

Hello and thank you Cathy for allowing me to join the forum. My daughter, wife, and I were looking for pet ducks and happened across too Muscovies from local Amish. They have brought us much enjoyment and get along great with our two cats. They are quiet birds and love being around us. I hope to learn more about them and about the other Muscovy owners in this forum.
Jmg198
Report Spam   Logged
otterway

« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »

Thanks for allowing me to join the forum.  My name is Tiffany and I live in VA.  We are new to ducks and purchased our first ducklings in early June.  We came home with 3 Muscovy that day and have been picking up a few here and there since. Currently we have 11 Muscovy and I am hooked!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics