Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:36:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Introductions!

+-+-
+-User
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introductions!  (Read 7384 times)
Goldenbead

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:36 am »

Hello everyone.  I am in Barbados.  We recently moved back here after living in Asia for 10 years and we are enjoying life.  We bought a house and landscaped the garden and put a lovely pond in with the idea that we would get muscovies.  Before we could actually organise it, a lovely black/green (?) duck flew in on Christmas eve and has stayed ever since!  We named her Gracie.

We then decided to get a drake to keep her company and we got a white one which we have named Draco (I know, I know!).  They both free range in our garden and get along quite well with the dogs and cats.  We feed them layer pellets and they love the cherry tomatoes that grow in the veggie patch.  Gracie spends a lot of time on the pond eating fish. 

They recently started to mate and we discovered a nest in a hollow under a big boulder surrounding the pond.  She now has about 12 eggs in there as far as we can tell.  Draco guards the entrance when she is in there but she doesn't seem to spend a whole lot of time on the nest except for at night.  We are hoping that since it is so warm here that the eggs will actually hatch.

I am really happy to have found this forum and it has already answered loads of questions I had about muscovies.  Looking forward to getting to know you all better.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
swampducks

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »

Hey there, it's me swampducks, returning (to a new forum!!) after a long winter hiatus! I live in the northeast corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan, in an actual cedar swamp. I started last spring with 4 muscovy ducklings, (2 were killed as juveniles by a mink visiting my pond that pulled them off the raft they slept on at night). The raft is gone but so are my other puddle ducks because I couldn't get them off the water at all and I lost 3 of them to that blasted mink. (the remainder now live at my FIL's farm)

But as I was left with 2 black and white ladies, I found a farm nearby who sold me a white drake. The threesome merrily made it through winter to only have one lady killed by a neighbor's dog who traveled over a mile to find her. The drake was mauled but he recovered. I am hoping to have ducklings soon to make up for the losses!

I also have chickens and guineas and 2 labrador dogs who love my birds as part of their pack. 

Oh yeah and I'm married to a cool guy who puts up with my menagerie without too much squawking! Roll Eyes

And I am going to beat that mink in the end!!
Report Spam   Logged
muskiecrazy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 11:15:09 am »

Hello everyone - I am the owner of 3 female and 2 male black and white muscovies.  We used to have a few pekins on our large pond which started out as 'Easter projects' for the kids!  I got addicted to having ducks - unfortunately one by one our pekins were eaten by coyotes and bobcats that reside in the forest around us.  We discovered that when you buy pekin ducklings or similar and they don't have a mother to follow they don't want to get in the water, ie to safety.  I ended up buying a small flock of juvenile muskies last year and a good amount of them have survived since they can now fly away and mostly sit on a platform in the middle of the pond at night.  I currently have 2 females on very large (20-30) clutches that are nested right by the house and are expected to hatch next week and the week after (if my calcs are correct!!)  I am now thinking that I will start a breeding program, sell eggs, fertilized and unfertilized and the excess males produced from each clutch.  Very happy to see the map you created Cathy which will really help me with this.  I am very new to this so will be asking lots of questions!  Some may seem dumb so bear with me!!!!  I'm a quick learner!!!  Thanks and I will post pics when my babies arrive!
Report Spam   Logged
marvin

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:39 am »

Hi everybody, I'm Dan and my wife is Audrey.We have a hobby farm  up here in Canada.We have 2 kids and are we are all trying to go back to the old days style living .We raise our own beef and have about 70 isa brown laying chickens.We also have some silkies that we plan on showing and breeding.We have bronze turkeys on order that should arive soon , also some piglets, and cornish giants chickens.I went to a beef cattle auction recently and on my travels , while making a delivery I came across a pair of muscovies.I was so impressed by the size and looks of the drake that I offered to buy them.Since then my interaction and research of these birds has got me hooked.I bought  another pair this weekend and we have a some eggs in the incubator.The plan is to let them free range but I'm a little nervous.I look forward talking to you all in the future, this forum has already been a helper.
Report Spam   Logged
Bird Crazy Lady

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »

Hi all, we have a small farm in NW Pennsylvania.  We have over 300 various poultry & other fowl including fourteen Muscovy.  As the girls have finally started to lay our numbers will be going up soon.  The first of this years hatch is still in the 'bator.  We have had our Muscovy for the last seven years. We started with just a few but after we had eaten some of our extras that first year we raise all that our girls will let us.  Initially we had a few black & whites show up in our all white birds.  I honestly didn't know they came in any other colors until then.  Now we have several different colors and I can't wait to see what this years hatching will bring.
Report Spam   Logged

Currently have thirteen Muscovy and about 330 + or - other adult fowl.
donna

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:29 am »

Hello. 

My name is Donna and I live in South Carolina.  I have had Muscovies for about 3 years.  I let the hens hatch their clutches and I also steal a few for the incubator, because I LOVE to hear them pip and then watch them hatch out.  Right now, I have 2 drakes and 3 hens, a 2 week old duckling in the brooder that has imprinted on me, and 2 due to hatch this weekend.  All my birds, (except the parrots), are free range.

I also have guineas, pygmy goats, dogs, cats, parrots, and spoiled pond fish.

Thanks for the welcome!

Donna
Annie's Acres
Monetta, SC
Report Spam   Logged

Donna A.
Nicole

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

Grin Hello everyone!   Thanks Cathy for inviting me! My name is Nicole and I am from Texas. I recently noticed that the Muscovy's that call my Neighborhood pond home have made a nest in my bushes. I have always enjoyed watching them at the pond, but since they have nested at my house I have really had a chance to interact with them and I have come to love them.

Sadly, I found Cathy because my female was ran over (which devastated me) and I was online looking up any help I can get to save the rest of them. She has been great with all my thousand crazy questions.  Roll Eyes

Now. We are just enjoying the rest of the ducks and have falling in love with them so much so that we want to move to a lake lot so we can see them all the time! I also am hoping to learn how to catch them so I can take them to a more safe place. We are looking at a neighborhood with large lots, and if we can find a lake lot they will be much safer here. Im such an animal lover, but when an animal touches my heart, I feel they are my pets, and I take care of them as such. Even in the wild! LOL

Other then the ducks I now call MINE lol, I have a 7 yr old son, and a wonderful hubby who too has fallen for the ducky charm!  We have a yellow lab and a black and white great dane, and 2 cats! :0) My husband says that some day he wants land so we can actually raise Muscovy's. But Im such a shopaholic, and I love to eat out, that I cant move to far from my "other" home ~ The mall area we call market street with the best dinning and shopping I have found! 

So I guess the hubby and I will battle that out later. Either way, we will take our new loves with us! ( is it sad that I have already talked to the HOA about taking them? LOL we got a YES!!! They said just leave most and take the "family" you have adopted!  LOL YEA! )
 Wink
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:29:53 pm by Nicole » Report Spam   Logged

Nic
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 10:03:19 pm »

Welcome to the forum Nicole!  I didn't know you had a great dane, I myself currently have a black and had a blue merle a few years ago until she was stolen.  We've had 'em since I was a kid and I love them!  You'll have to post photos!

This was Kali, the one that was taken...

This is Shasta, the current one,  before we got her...
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Nicole

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »

Thx Cathy!!!  WOW more in common then I thought!  :0)

Here is my Dane Titan

And here is my Lab Mason

And here is them together!

I love DANES and I will ALWAYS have one! ( or two or three!!! ) I just love them to death!  "0)

YOURS is stunning. I love the black ones!  and Its sad about your stolen one. That is just horrible! We lost our first dane to Dystemper. That was really hard on us.

Report Spam   Logged

Nic
Muscovy Duck Lady

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 11:57:28 am »

Howdy y'all!

I finally moved over here to the forum from the MSN group. This forum looks really good and informative, thanks Cathy!
I hope to get lost in it for a few days, looking around.

I'm Julie, from NW Oregon. I have 8 adult Muscovies, 5 ducks (3 blue, 1 black, 1 dark ripple), a main drake (black) and two just-in-case drakes (blue). I have been raising Muscovies for about 10 years now, and love them. I breed solid-colored ducks that are big, with pleasant temperaments.

I've had three hens set and hatch their ducklings so far this year. My dark ripple hatched 5 ducklings, and I'm so excited because 4 of them are dark ripple like the mother! The other is a gorgeous silver. A blue duck brought out her babies, and a raven took most of them  Cry
Then my black duck, Garden duck, brought out 14 little ones. There are three that are a strange, bronze color. I'm not sure what they will turn out to be. I don't think they are blue... we'll see.

Julie in NW Oregon
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »

Welcome Julie & everyone else that I've not properly welcomed!  I've barely got two birds on nests and my self-blues have just now started laying.  Oh, wait, I do have a third bird setting on some infertile eggs & some Wyandotte bantam eggs!  lol  Oops!  Won't she get a shock if they hatch!  I bought them from a woman in MO so they were shipped - hoping that I get a few to hatch, at least!

If you'd like to post photos for show and tell you can do so in the gallery - just PM me and let me know you added them so I can approve them.  I won't know they're there otherwise.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Dellwyn

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 04:35:01 am »

Hi all.  My name is Trish and I'm from Lara in Australia.  I have my first muscovies-2 10week old b&w.  I've had them since they were a few days old.  I'm looking forward to sharing stories with everyone about these wonderful animals-they certainly are individuals.  I've names mine Bubbles and Squeek-seemed to suit them.  They chase my sheep around daily and sit at my back door all the time. They really are soooo much fun.   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
clhbubba

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:32:31 am »

Hello all,

My name is Christine and I am from central Oklahoma. We started with one "homeless" Muscovy duckling about 2 years ago. We now have 12 adults and 6 babies. We've had 5 clutches of babies this spring varying from 2 to 11.  Our ducks(and all the other animals we have here) are pets only, though we have been selling the ducklings to help offset the cost of feed! We just love them and find them beautiful and very entertaining. We have black, black/white, choc, and blue, one black/white with green eyes. Hoping to gain a bit more knowledge of their nutrition, needs, likes, dislikes, etc. . Thrilled to find this forum. Thanks to BYC.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 10:47:27 pm »

Welcome Trish & Christine!  It's great to have you on board!  If you have any questions, please let us know! 
Report Spam   Logged

coyboy70

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »

hello all, don't know anything about ducks except what i've read. i live in north Georgia i have 10 chickens and love them. my wife and i want to get maybe to muscovy ducks and let them free range but not sure so thats why i'm here. thanks to you all.  Chris
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics