Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:31:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Shaking head

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaking head  (Read 2457 times)
donna

« on: April 30, 2009, 08:36:50 am »

Hi!

I am a newbie here, and hate to start out this way, but I have a problem with one of my hens.  She has a shaking problem with her head.  It reminds me of palsy.  Last week it was barely noticeable, but yesterday it was more pronounced and she also seemed to be weak in her legs.  She eats normally, swims, forages, etc.  It is just the head thing and weak legs.  Anyone have any ideas?  Could it be a deficiency of some kind?   She is about 1 year old, laying, eats corn w/chicken scratch mixed in.

Any and all advice is welcome!
Report Spam   Logged

Donna A.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donna

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:52:04 am »

Anybody?
Report Spam   Logged

Donna A.
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »

Hi Donna,

Weak legs can be the result of injury or a niacin deficiency.  I'm not sure about the head shaking.   Does she have access to greens/forage?  Usually a bird that can forage for a fair part of their diet will be able to get the majority of their mineral/vitamin needs through those foods.  Something you could do is find some brewers yeast & sprinkle that on top of her feed.  I do worry about the corn/scratch as typically the protein of an all grain diet is too low to support good health unless they're able to forage for greens & insects.

You can check out the Duck Health website to see if any of the illnesses there match the symptoms you're noticing.  I believe it can be found in the links section. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
donna

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:37 am »

Cathy, thank you for the reply.  Yes, this hen is free range and has all kinds of fish, frogs, greens, bugs, etc. to eat.  They also eat some of the floating fish food I throw to my pond fish.  Once or twice a week, they get 3 handfuls of cat food.  She eats and drinks very well, and is always one of the first ones to the feed.

Can ducks get palsy? or parkinson's?
Report Spam   Logged

Donna A.
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »

There might be some neurological condition similar that ducks can get - I've not heard of it but doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

It sounds like she's got plenty of opportunity to get adequate nutrition.  Where do you live?  Ducks are very susceptible to botulism and I think leg weakness is a sign, however, if memory serves botulism is a quick onset/quick death type of situation.  Typically occurs in very warm weather in stagnant water.  Here's an article about it:  http://www.wcsv.org/Education/Diseases/Duck_Botulism.htm
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
donna

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:21 am »

Thank you, Cathy.

I, too, am leaning towards a neurological thing.  The legs do not seem as weak now.  I wonder if it is possible that the drake held her under water too long at a mating???  That might cause a lack of oxygen for a longer amount of time than usual.  That could cause the neurological symptoms, couldn't it?  I  am just grasping at straws, now.  I have several emails out to different universities, to see if they can give me any ideas.......

Other than the head shaking thing, she is as healthy as she can be!!!!!  If fact, she is outside my front door laying an egg in her nest right this moment!

If you have any other ideas or advice, please let me know!

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged

Donna A.
waleed hamed

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:15:33 am »

hi DONNA ,
this proplem occured several times at my herd
the first time was after infection with E.COLI about 10 % was shaking there heads after while they stopped became healthy .
but now it occures sporadically due to some factors i think related to laying eggs because that shakhng happens at hens only when i add more calcuim and phosphorous with addition to vit E most of them becomes so healthy.
Report Spam   Logged
goingfishingbob

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:55:16 pm »

Hello, yes I'm aware that this is a older post ,but I had noticed that your feed mix was a chicken scratch and corn combo,could the chicken scratch be a medicated type that they are allergic to ??
Thanks for your help in advance ..BOB
Report Spam   Logged
purdyducks

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:27:11 am »

Hi GoingfishingBob,

Nope, I checked for that...........I think they are mostly spoiled to the cat nibble that they all run after.  I am trying to incorporate the new feed into the cat nibble..........
Report Spam   Logged
goingfishingbob

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 10:15:46 am »

Hello,yes I've given my ducks cat food (the dry kind)
 and unfortunately the eggs did not harden ? could there be a relationship ?
How did your ducks do with the cat food and what kind would you suggest that I try .I can't say if it's to harsh for them and or if it's completely safe ?
The ingredients say ,for dry ,that there is fish and vegetables mixed into the dry kind .I'll try just about anything since my ducks are pinned due to two many dog's ,cats,and vermin around this area ..
thanks for your time .BOB
Report Spam   Logged
Canadian Eh

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:46 pm »

I found that head shaking in my chickens was likely mites or lice, so dusted them with the delouse powder & problem solved. Hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

If ducks have regular access to adequate water then they most likely won't have mites or lice.  Good thought, though, if they don't have access to water they can bathe properly in! 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics