Muscovy Duck Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:49:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Struggling ducking (Feet issues???)

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling ducking (Feet issues???)  (Read 402 times)
kilo69

« on: June 08, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »

So one of my 2 week old ducklings was so far behind the others I moved it down to the week old batch with another mother duck.

It seems to have trouble walking and appears to walk on it's toes instead of the pads of it's feet.  I have had a look and it seems like there is some sores on the toes that could be explaining it's difficulty.

My google research has only come up with "bumblefoot" but I am not sure that is the cause.

I'm going to try to clean it's feet regularly and see if that helps it heal... it seems to love swimming more than walking... any thoughts from the readers here?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kilo69

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:19:20 am »

Well it's not bumble foot....  it's feet cleaned up and look fine.

I had it in the house overnight and it has had 3 seizures in about 4 hours.  It also seems to have very little control over one of it's legs and just when it starts to look normal it seizes again.  I am thinking now I may just cull the poor thing now as it is only a meat bird.  My whole goal in raising my own was to make sure they all had a happy and healthy life before their time and this poor duckling is not having either of those.

Unless anyone has a suggestion as to why it may be seizing that is correctable.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:33:52 am »

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.  I agree, it probably would be best to be put down.  It very well could have been a congenital defect that you couldn't fix. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics