Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:49:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

missing fuzz at top of wings

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: missing fuzz at top of wings  (Read 427 times)
addicted2chickens

« on: May 16, 2011, 08:58:58 pm »

I have 15 wild born muscovy ducklings that were born April 25.I have had them since they hatched.They are missing fuzz at the first joint of their wings.I can not find evidence of parasites.They are fed chick starter 22%.I have never seen this when I raised domestic muscovies.I also never raised muscovys in Florida before when the avg day time temps are 90 degrees.
Am I missing something??Is this possibly a parasite?Is this common in areas where there are high daily temps?Can this be something caused by flies or mosquitos?
They are kept in an 8x10 dog kennel/run (recently they have been allowed out in the yard) I change their hay and pool daily.Can you help???Any ideas???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 06:31:27 am »

I don't have an idea what would cause this, sorry.  How have they feathered out since?
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Victoria

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:28:33 am »

I'm also having the same problems with my ducks but I bought them. They lived happily, they got used with us and the environment here, when one day I saw one duck's feather missing at the beginning of its wings and after some days it became weak and day went off.  Now am scared for the other ducks..   Can someone help??  Now, I think I'm finding the other duck also losing feather at the same place and I think muscovy duck does not need any vaccination.  Please let me know if anyone konws anything about this matter!!

thank you
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:15:44 am »

There is nothing specifically I know of that causes feather loss just around the wings. I would be concerned with overall health and diet if this was a problem. Another cause could be picking from other birds, but that usually is the blood feathers at the end of the wing, the flight feathers, not the small feathers toward the base of the wing.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics