Muscovy Duck Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:16:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Can You move a nest?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You move a nest?  (Read 2567 times)
janey

« on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:37 am »

Hello, Our female Strife, is nesting in a work shop in house insulation.  I would like to move her to a stall so that she may have that space with her ducklings while young, I do not trust Donald the drake to not harm the babes as he is agressive with humans.  I beleive the eggs will hatch in a few weeks, and I want to make sure she will nest after the move. 
Thank you
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

helendc

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 12:12:02 pm »

Hi,
From what I have already gleaned from reading other posts on this site Muscovies may well abandon a nest if you try to move it.
Just a thought, as I am by no means an expert..........  If you move the nest, could you sit her on pot eggs, while keeping the real eggs in an incubator until you know that she is sitting firmly & then swap them over again when she is off the nest for her food etc.  I don't know if it would work, or even if anybody has tried it before......... its just an idea.  I would hate her to abandon your newly "fashioned" nest for her & killing her babies in the process.  Of course, to have any chance of this working, you would need an incubator to hand!
Otherwise, could you move her to safety when her babies hatch?
Good Luck, whatever you do.
Fingers crossed.
Report Spam   Logged
papia

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:04:05 am »

I have the same question. The nest my duck is on is fine for hatching, but after they hatch I would like to move them to a different location with a fenced area around it so the cats and drake cant get at the ducklings....does anyone have experience moving nests pre or post hatching?
Report Spam   Logged
kilo69

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:48 am »

I have the same question. The nest my duck is on is fine for hatching, but after they hatch I would like to move them to a different location with a fenced area around it so the cats and drake cant get at the ducklings....does anyone have experience moving nests pre or post hatching?

After hatching the mother doesn't take long to leave the nest... usually within 2 days they are roaming never to return to the nest
Report Spam   Logged
farmgirl

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:02:34 pm »

I have not had any success moving eggs, but have moved ducklings without issue.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics