Muscovy Duck Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:19:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Drake biting?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake biting?  (Read 811 times)
janey

« on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »

We have a Drake that has been hand raised and now he is biting us, I assumed it was because he is protecting the 3 females, do they grow out of this?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:01 pm »

If he was hand raised he may be seeing you as a female duck. The bites may be courting. If it happens when you are around the females it is protective of them. Try catching him when he does it and ruffling his feathers a bit. That worked for us. Good luck.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
janey

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:42:48 am »

Hi and thank you for the reply....Donald is still very aggressive with everyone, he is the real character here at the hobby farm and gets along with all the other animals.....it is just humans he goes after.  It is sad, but we think that we will have to get rid of him or else supply all our guests with brooms.............
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:34 am »

He does it because he has become to see people as his flock mates and in the natural process of life he is geared to attempt to dominate flock mates so he can be the boss.  You can try to cure him of it but it might not be successful.  He has to know that every time you enter that pen that you are going to make him submit to you.  Even if he's not being aggressive, go over and run him a bit to get that flight response.  If everyone who wanted to raise a pet duck got to own an adult pet drake they'd think twice about doing it.  I have done it, too, when I was a kid, but my birds were ducks so it wasn't an issue, fortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Linda454

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

Smiley I know this is an old post,but it reminded me so much of my Big Boy,I had to reply. He loved me & I him. He would come to the yard & find me & grab ahold of my dress or whatever I was wearing to get my undivided attention. I would give him a treat & he'd be happy & just follow me around. BUT when he was upset over anything,like not catching a duck or losing a snail shell in the water, he'd run for me & just go crazy pecking at my shoes or feet! I'd tell him "no", firmly & he'd stop.....well in a while.I just loved him so & miss him so much. He was killed by my neighbor as were my others. Don't fall in love with Muscovies in S.Fl. they have no protection at all! OK, I won't get started. Thanks for the wonderful memory!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics