Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:53:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Wisconsin winters - posting for Juliejo

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wisconsin winters - posting for Juliejo  (Read 262 times)
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« on: December 18, 2010, 02:36:23 am »

I need help! I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly for my favorite ducks. I have 6 ducks, 2 drakes and 4 hens. I've had them since early spring. They have free range around our farm in the summer and I would suppliment with chicken food and cracked corn. Now that the pond has frozen and the snow has fallen, I'm not sure the best place for the ducks. Right now I have them housed in one of our barns, they have fresh water each day and chicken feed and corn. They are on straw with a few perches and hay bales with a dog house in the barn for them. I have kept them seperate from my chickens at this point. Right now I do not allow them to venture outside due to the very cold temps (I'm afraid they won't go back in the barn). I want to make sure I am feeding them the right food and housing them correctly. I have a light on a timer as the barn area they are in has no windows, the light turns on around 7am and off around 6 pm. Any help would be great. THANKS!
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:55:35 am »

Hi Juliejo...to post on the forum you need to pick a category (such as general, nutrition, etc.) and click that area, once there you would need to click on one of the darker blue tabs on the right side of the forum above the list of the threads.  Those darker blue tabs are how you navigate the options available to you for the screen you're on.  Hope this helps...

Now, as far as your question.  It doesn't sound like you're doing too bad.  Depending on your weather and how severe it is, you might be doing the right thing keeping them penned indoors.  I personally do not put my birds inside, they stay outside and tend to bed down under some items I've brought in for them such as a pick up topper, etc.  I try to provide straw as bedding and you can build shelters from them that work great.  The only problems I would see is if you have very heavy snowfalls where it tends to pile up.  We don't get that here usually. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »

If you give them treats they will love you forever. Try some grass, in a dish of water or some lettuce. then to get them to return to the barn after you let them out, offer the treat again. They learn really fast. Otherwise it sound s like they are lucky birds to have you.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics