Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:49:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

feather molting

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feather molting  (Read 7193 times)
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« on: November 30, 2010, 02:20:11 am »

People feed and recommend feeding cat or dog kibble as a treat for the animal protein, not as the sole feed.  Muscovies require more animal protein than regular ducks.  It is their nature to eat rodents, tadpoles, fish, etc.  In a typical grain or commercial diet you do not get this - that is where the cat kibble comes in.  You can also feed hard boiled egg, fishmeal, etc.  I use a poultry premix that has animal protein in it.

BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are a good item to include in a bird's diet especially during the molt.  I use a primarily grain ration, never a commercial feed as the sole food, so it's quite easy for me to include this in their diet. 

As far as the molt, as long as the bird has new feathers growing in and there are no bare patches, etc. and it is otherwise thrifty you shouldn't have any problems...
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics