Muscovy Duck Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:30:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Just a few questions

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a few questions  (Read 646 times)
Duckydoo

« on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:44 am »

So, my baby muscovy is doing fine, as far as I can tell. He/she is about 2 weeks old. Growing like a weed.
I do have a few questions, though.
First, her feet are peeling. I assume that's just because she's growing so fast. But they're peeling a lot. Not like cracked or bleeding or anything. Just...peeling. Like after a sunburn.
Second, she eats her feed just fine. But when I give her grass, weeds, vegetables, etc, she really wants nothing to do with them, no matter how tiny I chop them. She loves to eat bugs that I find for her, such as ants, worms, baby slugs, potato bugs and the occasional gnat that flies by. But she won't eat her veggies! I've read that they love greens...but she just won't eat them. *EDIT* nvm. She ate her veggies during the night. Guess she likes them now. Smiley
Third (the thing that worries me most) is that she seems to always be laying down. She'll follow me around the yard, but as soon as she catches up to me, she lays down. She'll walk to her food & water, then lay down to eat or drink. She'll get a blast of energy and run in circles (it's hilarious. she looks insane and usually bumps into things.) but then she just...lays down. She just seems to be laying down A LOT and I'm kind of worried.

So, I'm just wondering if these things are normal. I love her a ton and I hope she's okay.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jessica
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:34:59 am by Duckydoo » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:14 am »

I have no idea about the peeling feet. Doesn't sound like anything we have had with ours. Maybe a nutrient deficiency. Anyone? There are liquid nutrient suppliments availible at most feed stores. Poulty nutrient. Just add a few drops to the ducklings water. Also make sure its bedding is dry. Although they are ducks, they cannot tolerate constant moisture on their feet.

The sitting down may be because it is a drakelett. Our are really lazy and will sit given the chance, even in the feed dish, usually their favorite place actually.  Sounds like a lucky duck to have an owner who cares so much for it.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Duckydoo

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 06:16:23 pm »

Well that's a bummer. I was hoping it was a girl. But oh well, good to know that nothing is really wrong with him. Smiley
I change his bedding every day, so it must be the nutrients. I will look into that.
Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:04:23 pm »

I didn't say it WAS a male, just that they seem to lay down alot. Look at it's feet at about  5-6 weeks. the femals have really small feet while the drakes have the typical donald duck gunboots. The caruncles will come in before the flight feathers also if it is a male. Harder to tell if nothing to compare it to, like siblings. Eventually you will be sure, but it can be hard to wait.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics