Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Shakes fist at Utility Company

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shakes fist at Utility Company  (Read 481 times)
kilo69

« on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:57 am »

Got to work this morning to get a message from a neighbor that the power was out.  I have eggs 5 days from hatching in my incubator!!!!...  Went on the website and they said outage at 9:11am expected repair time 10:00am...  Ok not to bad as the bator is on a backup that should last 45min-1hr easy.

At 9:45 the time went to 11am....  I'm starting to get worried and ask my boss if I can swing home and setup a longer backup power.  (I live 45min one way from work).  Once i get there I check the backup system and it's only down 50% after 1hr 30mins...  not too bad... I hook up some extra batteries that should give it enought to last well into the evening.  Get back to work at noon and I guess the power is back!

I'd hate to lose them all in the last few days to a power outage!  Glad I hooked up that backup even though my G/F thought I was paranoid!

Kristian
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »

It is too bad about the  outage, but congrats on thinking about a back up system. Great planning ahead and better to have it in place and never need it, than to forget about it and then need one!
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:28 am »

Something worth mentioning is that embryos near hatch will generate some heat themselves so even if you do have a little bit of a power outage they should pull through if the ambient temps are 'summer-ish'.  I have actually had ducklings survive a rainstorm and subsequent submersion in puddle water overnight!! 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics