Muscovy Duck Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:39:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

What is dark ripple?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is dark ripple?  (Read 594 times)
Kira

« on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:24 pm »

Here is the problem I am having and after hours and hours of research I feel no closer then where I started. I have a basic understanding of genetics from our rabbit breeding and showing days, but I am really struggling.

We have two dark ripple that just hatched a clutch and I have no idea what the color possibilities are. I don't know what dark ripple IS. I understand there are base colors (ex. black, blue, chocolate, etc), and then there are patterns, and ripple is the pattern, but WHAT is dark? Chocolate? Black? Dark chocolate?

Our ducklings are two different colors, there are 4 that are all dark and the rest (Cool have yellow faces and necks with dark bodies.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:12:47 am »

do the solid dark ones have the tiniest yellow speck high up on the neck under their chins? IfI understand it correctly, they are atypicos. Maybe this is what the dark ripples are. We have an atypico black with ripple who, when the sunlight hits him, you can see the ripple pattern as an outlins of a dark burgundy color on the dark black feathers of his juvenile feathers, as well as his adult feathers now that he has molted.We hatched him here at our house. I don't know about the solids with the light heads, unless they are pied atypicos. Canezie is not supposed to show up until they molt, but I don't know if that is with just one gene for it or 2. It may be different with 2. You would have to ask rollyard. There is someone on the AU site who is trying to figure out canizie and the power of expression, who would love pics of all the stages to compare in her work. Can you do some pics of the ducklings as well as of the parents for her?
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:20:22 am »

I believe dark ripples are the equivalent of black with the ripple gene, chocolate ripples are just that, chocolate with the ripple gene.  You can find both dark and chocolate ripples on this page: http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/varieties

This page: http://www.muscovyduckcentral.com/gender.html has a photo of a chocolate ripple ducklet and a dark ripple drakelet although they're older, so it's not quite as easy to tell the down color like what you'd find on a young duckling.

Incidentally, I got 2 chocolate ripples and a dark ripple duck from my black / chocolate birds this year!!!  I'd sold my ripples two years ago.  Interesting to see them reappear when I thought all the birds I had were pure!
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Kira

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »

Thank you Cathy. After talking to the breeder, who originally bred for these ducks, she thinks that the solid gray are probably blue and I just noticed rippling between the wings of the yellow and grays. They are three weeks old now, I'm starting to see the difference in body and leg size Smiley How fun.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics