Muscovy Duck Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:13:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Duckling Food??

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duckling Food??  (Read 1146 times)
purdyducks

« on: May 27, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »

I have several new babies on the way.

What should I start them out on when they are able to eat???  I don't have a clue.
I have crumble, or this is what the guy at the feed store recommended, but I think all of you out there, PROBABLY know BETTER than the advice I got.
I would think crumble is too hard for the newborns???

Thanks for your help,
Purdyducks in Texas
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:00 am »

I start them out on a 28% (I think) gamebird starter for 2 weeks and then reduce the protein to the 18% range.  When I had a lot of birds I had a custom ration based loosely on those found in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.  Anymore, I just stick with a chick starter. 

Crumbles won't be too hard - as soon as they're ingested & come into contact with moisture they will disintegrate.  They're essentially ground meal that has been mixed, pressed, & then crumbled. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:35 pm »

I use broiler starter mixed with turkey/gamebird starter for a week or two, then add steamed pressed oats and chick grit to8 weeks the move the starter to finisher as they approach adulthood. Loads of treats and poultry vit solution added to water. Mine seem fine and their feathers are amazing! The culls were tasty, too!
DG
Report Spam   Logged
purdyducks

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:25:34 am »

Thanks Duck Gardener, your ducks live in the HILTON, LOL
PURDYDUCKS
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:10:14 pm »

I just really love them. Ok, so they are a little spoiled, but you should see them follow me around when friends come over...just like dogs!
Report Spam   Logged
purdyducks

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 11:02:11 pm »

I totally know what you mean.  I have two that come up to the front porch from the pond and wait for their breakfast............They are just big babies !!  We love them.
PURDYDUCKS Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 04:33:04 am »

If you think that they are spoiled now, wait until you see the new house they are getting for this winter! The breeder's on the AU site are doing this quansit hut style duck house and we are following suit, as the old night pen just is not big enough to house the ducks with brooder boxes.  Shocked Grin We are upto 6 adult breeders and several ducklings right now, but want to set a clutch or 2 before winter. Carrie just came off laying...we did not let her set, and Smokey is at egg 24 with it looking to rap up soon. We will let them set when they start to lay again, but only Smokey, and only 8 or so eggs, as we don't want a large group going into winter. Two teenagers should also be laying winth in the month.
We have dismantled the night pen and a shed to use the pannels around the base to keep out rats, although a neighborhood cat seems to have taken care of them and leaves the ducklings alone. Good Kitty! Kiss
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics