Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:14:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Hanging birds for the table

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hanging birds for the table  (Read 948 times)
Ivor

« on: May 18, 2010, 11:24:27 am »

Hi,
I was wondering how long folks are hanging birds for. Would a week be too long when the air temp is about 15 degrees during the day and 10 at night?
Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:08:30 pm »

When you say hanging, do you mean bleeding or resting/tenderizing? I have been leaving them in the refer for 3-4 days then cooking them, as they are tough if they are too fresh and stiff still. I do not know about hanging them outside, as I live in central CA. It doesn't get cold enough here. Any mid west raisers around?
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Ivor

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:10:04 am »

Thanks for your answer

I mean the stage after slaughter where they are traditionally "hung" by the feet. for 1 or 2 weeks, especially game birds.

However in the absence of an reply I killed. plucked and drew, and then put in the refrigerator for 5 days. The bird was a year old and it was good, a little tough around the legs, but we overcooked because of the cavity smell. I gather next time it would be better to draw the bird just prior to cooking?
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:28:26 am »

I evicerate them, or remove the innards right after I pluck them. Some say if you wait a day or so the meat will taste stronger. I have never tried it myself, though. I don't like the idea of leaving anything that has bacteria in it in the bird while it rests. Personal choice. Ours were good, too, after 4 days.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics