Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:41:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Eating Muscovies

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating Muscovies  (Read 1411 times)
grumpy old man

« on: May 20, 2011, 07:48:02 pm »

Could I bother members to tell me how the muscovies compare to other ducks as table fare? My wife does not care for duck, was hoping muscovy would be leaner, and possibly tastier. ( I should have asked before I bought my Muscovies)   Thank you in advance
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

farmgirl

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:53 pm »

We love eating muscovy, it is delicious.  I have only eaten young ducks up to 6 months old, they are not greasy and are very tasty. I have heard that older drakes taste musky, but have no personal experience.  At 6 months they actually taste like roast beef.  I have two fussy young kids and they suck every bit of meat off the bones.  If you are butchering your own, I would recommend 17 weeks as they are a good size but are still easier to pluck than when they are older.  I like to roast them at 450 degrees (only takes about 30-45 mins) then baste them with ice water which makes the skin puff like a pork rind.  Delectable!!
Report Spam   Logged
grumpy old man

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:52 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to respond,
Report Spam   Logged
Bailey

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:25 am »

On the weekend we ate our mean ass drake that was chasing the kids around. He was 2 years old and i roasted him. I stuffed him with apples and onions and drizzled melted butter over him every now and then, in the end i thought he was very dry{I should of made a gravy} he didnt taste bad but not great either. It was ok, good enuph for me and my critters.
Report Spam   Logged
grumpy old man

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:42:14 pm »

butchered and ate a muscovy. It may be the best poultry meat I have ever eaten.Even my wife liked it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:16:30 am by grumpy old man » Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »

Old muscovies make good burgers. Debone them and keep the carcass for soup stock .Gring up the meat and use it in burgers and chily YUUMMMM !!
Report Spam   Logged
suprstakr

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:21:08 pm »

Just had a roast duck with sauerkraut and potato dumplings for Christmas dinner . Meal fit for a king . Smiley Smiley Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
VIMduck

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 12:59:15 am »

Very tasty. Many many recipes on the Internet.
We've put our birds in the freezer at 17 weeks.  They have not been oily and taste a bit like ostrich, not fatty at all. Enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics