Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:08:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

crushed eggshells ,adding to duck feed?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crushed eggshells ,adding to duck feed?  (Read 3944 times)
goingfishingbob

« on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:49 pm »

Hello ,I think someone already answered this question already but I thought I would go ahead and ask .
Can the addition of crushed chicken eggshells to the ducks feed be as good as oyster shells ?
I have a lot of shells and the thought crossed my mind but wanted a second opinion.
While I'm at it is the Muscovy drake needing a lot of eggshell/oyster shells as well ?
I read 2 conflicting articles and would be happy to hear some suggestions ..Thanks BOB   

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:57:31 am »

Yes, you can feed crushed egg shells back to the birds without harm.  Because Muscovy don't 'production lay', they don't need as much calcium as a laying chicken, for example, but I personally would still offer oyster shell if not free choice at least occasionally.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

Drakes need calcium, but the amount in feed is enough, and they should not have extra, unless their feed or ration is suspected of being short of it.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
goingfishingbob

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:47:48 pm »

HI,thank you for the information ,had heard from someplace  that they needed extra calcium but was not to sure ,I had decided to hold off on any modification of there regular feed ..already feeding them a Purina complete none medicated game bird feed "wow" its expensive here !! $19.00 for a 50 pd bag ..
Could I stretch this kind of feed with some regular cracked corn ??
maybe a 50/50 ratio ??
Thanks BOB 
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »

Depending on the protein content of the feed, yes, you could cut it with grain.  I try to keep my adult birds in the 16% range during the breeding season, although truth be told I don't ever quite hit that.  I do feed animal protein, though, in my poultry concentrate.  They then get plenty of insects and greens.  I also add BOSS to my ration.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 04:46:16 am »

I use purina's game bird flight conditioner and add some broiler finisher crumble, steamed rolled oats(sometimes called steamed oat groats), wheat berries, and grit. I also do a light sprinkle of a vitamin/mineral/probiotic powder and offer the flaked type of oyster shell. Basically a scoop of this and 2 of that kind of thing, as the flight conditioner and the broiler finisher are so high protein, but as I have really big mussies that grow so fast it works great, otherwise they get cracks on their feet bottoms. Seems a lot, but even the kids(8,6, and 5) can feed the ducks.
If I offer the oyster shell seperate, then the drakes and ducklings do not even try to eat it, and the ducks that are laying just eat it now and then. I guess that they know best for them.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics