Muscovy Duck Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:07:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Moulard questions...not for eating!

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moulard questions...not for eating!  (Read 1320 times)
DUCK_GARDENER

« on: February 22, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »

Huh It would appear that I have adopted a moulard and her mother muscovy. I have loads of questions about any differences in her care, but only as a pet with benefit eggs
! Not as if she were for the table. I just figured that as the hybrids are raised for meat usually, this is where the info would be. Can anyone help me out?
DUCK__GARDENER
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rollyard

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »

DUCK_GARDENER, husbandry/care should be the same as that for your Muscovy. 

Yes, hybrids are usually produced for their meat as I understand it.  Reciprocal crosses do differ though; a muscovy drake x with a mallard derived duck is the same cross as that used for domestic production of meat birds with both sexes produced (hybrids) being similiar in size however females reportedly don't develop sexually & male progony are usually sterile.

The reciprocal crossing of a Mallard derived drake with a muscovy duck produces female offspring that are smaller than accompanying hybrid drakelets thus bred, but they are reported to be good egg producers (eggs are small) but incapable of fertilisation.  The hybrid male offspring are supposed to have a strong libido & are occasionally fertile.

So your Moulard girl should provide you with plenty of smallish eggs if reports are correct.  Hope this helps

Info sourced from "Poultry breeding and genetics" By (R. D. Crawford, p. 389).  http://books.google.com.au/books?id=VMSF7m2CFTEC&pg=PA389&dq=muscovy+duck+crawford+genetics#v=onepage&q=muscovy%20duck%20crawford%20genetics&f=false 

Regards

rollyard
Report Spam   Logged

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »

Thanks Rollyard. You are really up on muscovy care. I cannot wait until I can learn as much about these amazing birds!
DG
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:51 pm »

ok Embarrassed Embarrassed I may have jumped the gun!, so to speak! It appears that Carrie has stopped laying or is laying full sized eggs in her mom's nest. We have given her her own nest site, but no eggs there. I still have to check today, maybe something took off with two gumball eggs the other day...left pen open while ducks were at the pond enclosure.By something I mean my 5year old...rescuing them from mama, the terrible! Angry I will let you know what I find today. I have to check records and see how many eggs should be in CArolina's nest before I try to figure this all out.  Tricky tricky birds! Maybe she just wanted to play with Dicky?! Huh Shocked
DG
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:35 am »

Not laying full sized eggs in mama's nest. Layed 6 gumball sized eggs and stopped laying. Roll Eyes We have had rian for several weeks, so tarp/light may have played a part.
Will post when she lays whatever she lays again. Won't know anything till then. Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics