Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:20:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

what temp too cold for viable eggs?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what temp too cold for viable eggs?  (Read 1471 times)
DUCK_GARDENER

« on: December 30, 2009, 10:54:33 am »

Ok, so now that they are laying, I have a question... if the ducks are not sitting on the eggs to keep them warm and to start the developement process while they are laying the eggs, the eggs are ambient temp-right? So if the ambient temps get down to 33-40 at night will the eggs hatch, assuming they are fertile? I have read that they cannot be stored in the fridge if you are going to attempt to hatch them. So, do I just collect the eggs for the table during cold weather, or just let the ducks keep them hatch? We have the facilities for brooding, but not an incubator. Help? The kids are getting very attached to the eggs and the idea of ducklings already. I need to have information to make a decision that is best for everyone,so that they don't get hurt.
DUCK_GARDENER
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 02:57:29 am »

Some people do report being able to hatch eggs that have been stored in a refrigerator however I am skeptical of such things.  At some point the eggs with freeze and crack.  If it were me and I were wanting ducklings hatching in the middle of winter I would collect the eggs daily but put a few dummy eggs in the nest so the duck doesn't abandon it and once she decides to go broody then I'd put the collected eggs back under her.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:50:03 am »

We went ahead and collected the eggs fro the table, as we didn't find them until there were five of them, so we were unsure how long they had been there. She moved her nest and has laid 1 new egg today. The weather should stay above 37 deg f, os they should be ok, even if they have reduced hatch, according to the Storrey's guide. It also said that the first eggs of the season would have a lower hatch, so that we should not try to set them.
Thank you so much, as now we feel better having taken them form her. She was rather annoyed with us. The drake even has nipped one of the kids trying to protect the nest. By the way duck eggs are really good if you get past the viscousness prior to cooking. (They made great pancakes!)
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 02:04:47 pm »

People report that duck eggs are great for baking.  The time I tried them in a cake I felt they made the cake a bit too heavy, but that might just be me.  I only tried the once, but I'm not much of a cook and rarely bake.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:51:29 am »

I bake with flour that has extra fiber and then add flax seed meal, so the kids noticed no difference. You might try beating the egg into a liquid in the recipe rather than adding directly. The extra thickness might have required extra mixing, which would have made it heavier. I made pancakes and banana bread, both favorites of the kids.
Try again. they really were good!
D_G
Report Spam   Logged
charlindabob

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:53:55 pm »

Let me know when that banana bread is about to come out of the oven and we'll be right over..lol.  Try the eggs poached, they're great..... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:16:17 pm »

I will have to try them poached as that is my favorite way to have eggs! Great idea. We just used some to make french toast, using the vitamix to blend them into the milk and 1/2 and 1/2. We added some vanilla and fresh grated nutmeg and used texas toast bread to make it. SOme real butter and maple syrup!  Cheesy it was great! THe eggs will not hand mix though, so use the blender. Used 4 eggs to 1.5cups of milk products and a loaf of bread. Fed all 6 of us with teh bacon and hashbrowns on the side. (we go all out on the weekends to make up for cereal on the week/school days!)
Thanks for the hint!
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics