Muscovy Duck Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:48:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

general feeding for rearing muscovy duck

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: general feeding for rearing muscovy duck  (Read 3766 times)
waleed hamed

« on: December 05, 2009, 03:25:20 am »

Im a vetrenerian at egypt having a flock dreeder now.
Now im rearing a young muscovy but i have a proplem in nutrition during rearing . if you have a table for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:22:00 am »

Are you needing help with the protein level of feed needed or are you wanting ideas of ingredients to use, etc? 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
waleed hamed

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:48:32 am »

Hi cathy ,
h want to know the protien ratio which is suitable for high temp area like egypt .
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:46 am »

If someone has their copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks and could post it there is a recommendation in the book on the protein requirements at the different ages - my copy was lent to a co-worker and I haven't gotten it back.  The only thing I would know to consider w/ regard to high heat situations is avoid corn as much as possible as it creates a lot of heat during the grinding process.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:20:07 pm »

pg 178 says muscovy ducklings  0-2 weeks free choice 18-20% starter feed; 2-7 weeks 5 minute free choice 16-18% grower feed per bird daily ; 7-20weeks 0.2-0.4 lbs 15-16% developer feed per bird daily per bird daily.
pg 180 reminds us ducks need 2-3 times the niacin that is required by chicks, so if using chick feed suppliment niacin in feed or water.
feed green feed to supply vitamins and minerals(page 181)
page 203 says for muscovies holding period when ducks are not producing 0.3-0.4 lbs of 12-14% protein feed: 3 weeks prior to and during laying season 0.4-0.6 lbs of 16% protein feed and 2 weeks prior to butchering of mature ducks free choice of high energy feed.
it also states higher amounts of high fiber feed versus low fiber feed to meet energy requirements

page 211 says thin or soft shell eggs are from vit d3 or calcium deficiency, high temps, or abnormal reproductive organs.

hope this helps.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:20 pm »

Thanks Duck Gardener. I appreciate that.
Report Spam   Logged

DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:35 pm »

I hope that that helps. It didn't cover a lot about really high temps. It get up into the 110+ here, but I have not had the ducks over the summer yet.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:22:31 pm »

I'm not aware of any information available for any changes in nutritional needs due to hot weather, really. 
Report Spam   Logged

Animallover

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 02:07:21 pm »

Hi Cathy,
I am in the process of purchasing a male & two females to add to my land up north in Wisc.
They will have alot of free range capabilty, but I want food for the first few weeks and also to give them in the winter.

I have looked everywhere on line, and I can't seem to find a supplier of adult duck feed.  Do you have any suggestions?
Animallover
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:30:19 pm »

If you are looking for an actual duck feed there is mazuri feed, but it is special order and expensive. I use it for the adult ducks, mixed with wheat and scratch grains as treats, along with greens in the winter. It is sold by purina, but just search mazuri, then put in your area and they will bring up suppiers in your area. It is made in teh mid-west, and I have it shipped to Madera CA. It costs me about $35 (this includes the special shipping charge as it is special order.), but it lasts for about 3 months in the winter for 5 ducks mixed with wheat.(we only had 5 over last winter and will have 8 this winter, so it gets fed before it goes stale!)
You can use Broiler chicken crumble for the ducklings, just watch the protein content...18-20% for the first 2 weeks then 16-18 percent. Don't use layer chick starter unless you add niacin to their water, as it doesn't have enough for ducklings. Check the storrey's guide for the amount of niacin to add, as too much is fatal. The broiler starter has enough, or you can use turkey or gamebird starter, but the protein is really high so you have to mix it with chick starter or a rolled oat to bring the protein to where you want it. If you have a trio of breeders you will need it soon! Here is what I did with my ducklings and they are growing well and healthy. All feeds are non-medicated!

1cup 27% gamebird starter( under $15)50 lbs
1cup 21% broiler starter(under $15) 50lbs
+
1cup 12% steam cooked rolled oats($25) 50lbs
----------------------------------------
3 cups = 20% protein

I also use 1/2 cup extra oats now to reduce the protein now the ducklings are almost 3 weeks old giving about 18.5%. They also get endive or lettuce or cilantro daily in addition to grass forage(we move the brooding house daily to give fresh graising area. )

If you use rolled oats like for the kitchen they only have about %5 protein, so that could work, too.

I could have just used the broiler starter with some oats, but they said the gamebird starter had more nutrients, so I chose that way. When they are a little older we will add in scratch grains to further reduce the protein to 16%. We are giving them sand as grit, but will give them true grit in another week.

I am sure that there are as many feed options as breeders out there! check around and see what works for you.
DUCK_GARDENER
Report Spam   Logged
Animallover

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »

Thank you Duck Gardener!  Great info.

I actually saw the Purina food on line, but I mistakenly thought it was DOG food MADE with duck....

I will keep your recipe, and make good use of it.
Again. Thanks a million!
Animallover
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 11:02:36 pm »

Glad to help. Mine like it. Dog food made with duck.?..that would be soo wrong! ewww!
DG
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics