Muscovy Duck Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:17:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Shelter too small?

+-+-
+-User
Poll
Question: 3 drake and 2 duck in 6 x 4 x 7 shed not enough?
too many drake? - 3 (60%)
too damp shelter? - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelter too small?  (Read 2144 times)
vector_y

« on: November 21, 2009, 04:30:51 am »

i have 3 drakes and 2 ducks in the 6 x 4 shed with two inch pine shaving with hay and straws. This fall is very wet and the bedding doesn't stay dry for long. They had bright red caruncles when I got them, now they have turn pink and one of my drake has died. Could it be the wet bedding or lack of kiddie pool or a place to roost or simply too many drake in a such small area? Do they need light or go out on the lawn? It's quit dark in the shed but they get enough food and veggies. Can they die if not enough water or light or excercise? Can it be too damp for them to live in. Help please... If this does not work out I will have to release thme in the wild. I live in Vancouver B.C. so I don't think it's too cold for them, too wet and damp in the shed maybe.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kats

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:40:14 am »

The space sounds fine for spending the night, but not for living all the time. Do you let them out during the day? Mine free range during the day and get shut up in a fairly small shed at night.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:53:50 am »

There are so many things that play into good health.  Are they getting a good quality nutrition?  Do they have clean fresh water available to them?  Are they able to get outside? 

I generally try to avoid 'lecturing' people about what to do with their animals but please do not release the birds, not only does it mean that they'll probably be eaten, but if they don't get eaten then they might end up either bothering someone else or just starving to death.  It's much more responsible to find another owner for them that is interested in caring for their health and well-being.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
vector_y

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:17:52 am »

They don't get to go out because it's frozen outside now. I change water at least once a day and they get chicken feed and rice at least once a day sometimes table scraps with green veggies. 
Report Spam   Logged
BFranke

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:35:24 pm »

I don't know about Muscovies...plan to get eggs to hatch this winter when my hens decide to be mamas.
But, my hens go out everyday.  They don't like to walk on snow, so I spread straw on the fresh snow.  In fact, when I came from work today, they were patiently waiting to go out.  We had had snow early, early, but I did not spread straw before work.  Soon as I spread straw, they were all out.
Now, if Muscovies don't freeze their feet, I woould think that you coulld do the same.  Unless I am told differently, I will be doing that next wenter.
Bette
Report Spam   Logged
fishes

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:47:35 am »

I nursed an injured hen in my basement all winter and when I brought her out in the spring her caruncles were noticeably paler than that ducks that had been outside.  I think it was just lack of sun.

Are you drakes fighting?  Were there any visible signs of injury?

When it gets cold mine switch over to almost straight whole corn (with grit available).
Report Spam   Logged
vector_y

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:42:52 pm »

yes, it's the drakes fighting. But now they got a new guy to pick on. I took the ducks and one black hen in the garage to avoid anymore casualties. Now they get along just fine. Strange... I guess they need time to sort things out.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics