Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

fencing height, covering?

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fencing height, covering?  (Read 6014 times)
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« on: November 13, 2009, 04:43:35 am »

They're nothing like chickens, ducks are active at night and they get stressed quite easily if you try to herd or catch them I think because they're programmed to watch for predators at night.

As Kats said, yes, the ducks will probably be able to fly over the 5' fencing and might for awhile.  As to whether they'll return to the pen depends on how inviting the outside world is to them and how stressful the pen is inside.  If you have a lot of birds in there and they feel crowded then that could cause them to seek space outside.  If they find a comfy place or a tasty foodstuff outside the pen they might decide to stay outside the pen & only come back for food/water.  Generally, though, if a bird is content in their pen then they'll choose to stay there and come back there after their little forays. 

You can clip a wing to prevent flying if you'd like, although this does diminish their ability to escape predators.  Sometimes getting out of their pen is more dangerous than clipping a wing, though.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics