Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:25:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Housing for 1 duck

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Housing for 1 duck  (Read 1510 times)
marcygems

« on: October 28, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »

I posted a while back about a muscovy that I rescued from a mongoose.  I took him to a duck pond to see if he might be interested in staying there, but he wasn't, so I brought him back home with me.  It's fine if he wants to stay in my yard, and he doesn't seem to care that he's alone, but I need a more permanent housing setup.  I live in Hawaii where there aren't many predators of full grown ducks, except perhaps a neighbor's dog.  My yard is fenced in but my duck still needs some kind of small house to hang out in at night.  Can anyone suggest something that wouldn't be too obtrusive or ugly?  Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 04:23:52 am »

Honestly a duck, unless conditioned to do so, wouldn't usually choose to go in at night preferring instead to be indoors.  A dog house would be sufficient if he would use it.  I don't believe that you really have very cold weather there so that wouldn't be an issue, getting out of rain would be if you have torrential downpours where the bird can't get dry. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Michelle

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:43 am »

I think the little muscovy probably would like a friend Smiley

I agree with the above poster, a doghouse would work well

Mostly, muscovies like to roost in trees at night though.  They don't care to come inside
Report Spam   Logged
SouthernDucks

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:39:02 am »

I  put a dog house in the pen for my muscovies. They have made a nest in there but always sleep outside on the ground.
Report Spam   Logged
DUCK_GARDENER

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »

our ducks don't seem to sleep in their nests. They have a seperate sleeping place, and do not go on the nest except to lay, then to sit on teh eggs/ducklings. But they don't slppe there otherwise. I don't know if this is normal or just mine. It works for them, and keeps the nests cleaner than if they slept there.
DG
Report Spam   Logged
jerrythomas

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:49:30 am »

Great post.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics