Muscovy Duck Forum
August 19, 2019, 12:15:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Night Cage

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Cage  (Read 3253 times)
charlindabob

« on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:48 am »

I use electric fencing and it works great.  A word of caution....If the ducks can reach the hot wire it could and very well may kill them! There are about three ways to use the electric wire: 1. run two wires about two inches apart low to the ground, one wire positive and the other negative, then run two more about a foot higher, again one negative and one positive, do not let them touch and also use a ground rod attached to the negative.  2. run two or more strands and hook them to the positive side and then run the negative to a ground rod only, this works well in good dirt, but not so well in sand.  3. run positive wire the same as in #2 and hook your negative to the wire on your cage or pen.  I have used all three, but make sure the ducks cannot reach the hot wire no matter which way you run the electric.  Wire, insulators and a charger can be picked up at many good all around farm supply or feed stores.  Expect to pay about $75-$100 for the works depending on the size of your pen.  You can get by cheaper if you buy only what you need for a smaller pen, ie, a smaller charger, you don't need a ten mile charger, and only the insulators you need, not a big bag of them and also only the wire you need, you may not need a thousand foot roll.  I have completey enclosed one of my Mandarin pens 25x50 with conveyor belt that is about 24" wide turned up on end and then I ran the electric using the roll of conveyor belt as a barrier so nothing inside can reach it.  I also ran the electic fence around my mother-in-laws garden and it keeps "Thunder" , half German Shepherd and half Bullmastiff from "transplanting" her plants which he is well known to do!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics