Muscovy Duck Forum
April 17, 2024, 07:25:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Sepia Coloured Muscovies

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sepia Coloured Muscovies  (Read 2083 times)
rollyard

« on: September 25, 2009, 03:30:35 pm »

Hi all

I am interested in getting some info about, & pictures of, your bown Muscovies, not chocolate though.  In Australia we have what we call "bronze" coloured birds with irridescent sheens.  I believe they are, or may be similiar to what you call in the states Sepia (faiogene) & am interested to know if anyone can help me with any info on how they breed etc.  Have you found this colour to have a diluting effect on black?  Does it act as a recessive?  How does it act in combination with other colours?  Is sepia the correct term?  Are there many around or are they scarce?  Any info at all would be great.

Also, if anyone had a picture of them would love to see it.  Searches on the net haven't been productive to date.

Thanks in advance

rollyard

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:47:27 am »

Hi,

Guess I mentioned a bit about this on the other thread.  No, I've not heard of anyone actually having sepia birds here in the States. 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Saxascovy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:47:04 am »

I'll try to get some pics up of mine. they look pretty different to the chocolates you have over there.

Regards David
Report Spam   Logged

Bronze, Barred and Lavender Muscovys. Bantam Saxony Ducks
rollyard

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:31 pm »

Pics might be a good idea Saxascovy, someone may be familar with them.  Thanks Cathy, I do believe they are quite rare except for certain areas according to what I have read.

The colour is called Sepia of Faiogeno.  Have just had another read from my source & from it understand that this colour may not be common (rare) in North America anyway.  They may be more common in parts of Europe, South East Asia, & Brazil.  Yes we have a bronze coloured bird here in Australia, not really common in all areas, colour does vary I believe from light brown/buff to a very dark rich brown/bronze colour with irridescence on back, wings etc.

Do you only have chocolates then, no other brown coloured birds that aren't genetically chocolate (ch)?  I know there is a brown-rippled but understand that to be rare also.

Thanks Again

rollyard
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »

I've heard of them referred to as chocolate ripple and dark ripple which is actually the ripple gene on a black bird, I do believe (although I may be wrong!).  They were sold here as buffs from the guy I got mine from.

No, the only brown bird I've ever seen is an actual chocolate.  There are some photos of birds of a lighter brown but all the ones I've seen have been pied so I've never paid too much attention as I've felt that it might just be a matter of white affecting how the color is seen.  If that makes any sense! 
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
Saxascovy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 01:31:31 am »

i have put some pics of my bronze birds in the gallery but it says that they have not been approved?

Regards David

Edit: don't worry the pics are good now. just need to work out how to put them up Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:48:13 am by Saxascovy » Report Spam   Logged

Saxascovy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 01:50:19 am »

this is a young bronze female

and this is a young bronze barred female Smiley

Regards David
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:38:55 am »

See, to me those are what we call chocolates. (and barred, of course!)
Report Spam   Logged

rollyard

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:01:07 pm »

They are good pictures thanks David.

They do look similar, particularly the young bird in the top picture, but from what I have seen (only in pictures mind) of your Chocolates in America, the colour is quite different from the bronzes we have here.  Genetically, chocolate is a sex linked recessive gene whereas sepia or bronze as I understand it is an autosomal recessive.

Regards
Report Spam   Logged

Saxascovy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 12:06:42 am »

the good chocolates i have seen on a website in America are more red than the bronze they also lack the green sheen that good bronzes should have. these birds are young and so don't really show the bronze color too good. but they are definably bronze not chocolate.

Regards David
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »

Our chocolates have the green & purple sheen as well.  I'm not familiar enough with the genetics aspect of it Rollyard to really comment too much on it.  The photos I've seen of bronzes mostly appear to be a shade between black and chocolate.

I don't have a good clear photo on my website and my photobucket account is currently stalled out for some reason so I can't check there to see if I have a good photo of a chocolate.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics