Muscovy Duck Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:18:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Muscovy Duck Central forum!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Stray Muscovy

+-+-
+-User
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stray Muscovy  (Read 1395 times)
DebbieR

« on: September 15, 2009, 06:38:32 pm »

A female Muscovy showed up at our house a couple weeks ago.  We have been feeding her scratch and want to build her a pen.  We've got a farm pond and are considering a floating pen so that she has some protection.  Her wings have been clipped, so she can't fly to avoid predators.

Does anyone have any advice on floating pens?  Or other types of pens?

Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nancy

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

Would a floating pen keep her safe from turtles?

We think we have snappers on our pond - and we know we have dinner-plate sized other turtles. And ducklings do disappear. As we watch.

Floating would be safer from the red and grey fox families. Which we have - and one of which has been dining on Muscovy this summer.
Report Spam   Logged
Cathy
Duck Herder Extraordinaire
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:57:45 pm »

If she used it.  Problem is, it might not work out quite like Field of Dreams where if you build it, she may not come.  She might not share your desire for her to stay there. 

For a pen to work, you'd have to be able to pen her there for awhile until she realizes that is home or she won't come back in willingly.  Even then, if there is something that is more enticing, she might not ever willingly come to the pen.  Using the pen as her sole source of food (besides what she gets while foraging) might help if the food is tempting enough.
Report Spam   Logged

The information I have provided in this message is based on my own personal experiences, the experiences of others who have shared their experiences and knowledge with me, and a dash of opinion thrown in for extra flavor.  Your mileage may vary! Shocked)
fish2

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55:27 am »

My muscovies will sleep on the docks in my fish ponds or under them along the shoreline.  I think if you built a small raft and put a roof on it while leaving all 4 sides open she might sleep there.
Report Spam   Logged
DebbieR

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:15:00 pm »

Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

+-Recent Topics